Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard *Might have spoilers*



Title: Pretty Little Liars 
Author: Sara Shepard
Published: August 21, 2007 by Harper Collins
Pages: 288
Rating: 4 out of 5 
Reviewed by: Carey

Gossip thrives amid the Mercedes-Benzes, mega mansions, and perfectly manicured hedges in the exclusive town of Rosewood, Pennsylvania. Behind their big Gucci sunglasses, beneath their perfectly pressed Polos, everyone has something to hide, especially high school juniors Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna. Spencer covets her sister's gorgeous new boyfriend. Aria is having an affair with her English teacher. Emily is infatuated with the new girl at school. And Hanna is using some ugly tricks to stay beautiful. Deeper and darker still is a horrible secret the girls have shared since sixth grade -- a secret they thought was safe forever.
Then the girls start receiving threatening messages signed by someone named "A." Could "A" be Alison, the ultra-popular girl who disappeared three years earlier? Alison was their best friend. She knew everything about them. But if Alison isn't "A," who is? And how could anyone else know so much about the bad girls they were and the bad girls they've become? Suddenly, their secrets -- the big ones, the little ones, even the long-buried ones -- no longer seem so secret. Suddenly, nothing is safe in Rosewood. Taken from Barnes n Noble.

Let me start of with saying that this was the first book I read on a Kindle! (I'll make another post about that later.) 

I surprisingly really enjoyed this book. At first I was skeptical about it because there's one huge deciding factor for me whenever I read books: I cannot stand books in third person point of view. I can't stand reading them, I can't stand writing in third person. I'm not sure why. I just can't. But I gave it a chance anyways, because I really do enjoy the television series. That's another thing, I thought I would hate it (sadly) because it would probably be so different than the show. That's why I wanted to read it before I started the show, but I was two seasons too late for that. I started reading this on the third episode of season three, and also right when PLL [finally] got onto netflix. I was happy about that.

Okay, anyways, back to the book. The main thing is for me is that it's sort of unrealistic to me, meaning that I can't relate to it in any way. I don't have a friend who went missing, I don't have a relationship with a teacher, I'm not confused about my sexuality, and I didn't kiss my sister's boyfriend. I know that probably spoiled a lot, but come on. If you watch the show or even the preview, you see a lot. I also thought that it was kind of stupid for Aria's family to randomly move to Iceland, because that is totally unrealistic. 

But at the same time, I couldn't put this book down. Well, that's a lie. I have been busy the past few days (which is why it took me forever to get this up) but whenever I started reading, it would be so hard. I'd have to remind myself that I need to eat or go to work soon. And that's even though I already knew what happened. I also liked how the first book was basically the first episode in a whole. 

It's really hard for me to explain the book, mainly because I already know the show, and also because I don't want to spoil it if some of you haven't seen the show or read the book. I already talked about how I surprisingly liked the writing style and the story was surprisingly close to the show in my opinion. Not perfect, of course, but closer than most.  It's never been hard for me to review a book... but I apologize for that. 
Now I'm just so excited to read more of the series and find out who A is! I hear that it's not like the show when it comes to that... hmmm! Four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment