Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Released: October 18, 2007 by Razorbills
Pages: 304
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers. 

***

I heard many things about this book before I read it. I heard that I wasn't going to be able to put it down, that it was so good, that it was sad and heartbreaking. 

I have come to the conclusion that all of that is true.

I could not put the book down at all. Finished it in only a few hours, it was so good. I wanted to know Hannah's story. I wanted to know why Clay was in there if he liked her so much. And then after I found out, I wanted to know who else was on Hannah's list and how it all ended.

I loved how everything and everybody tied together. I loved how it had two different narrators and point of views. I loved how, even though it was published in 2007, the "suicide note" was on cassette tapes. It just made it so much more original and made me love it that much more.

This really happens. People spread rumors about people which may cause bad things to happen. They do try to reach out sometimes, but nobody sees anything different, nobody notices. Nobody tries to help. And then that person is gone one day. Granted most people don't send around seven tapes and thirteen reasons why they did kill themselves, but that's what makes this story great. Everybody is different.

This story could speak out to so many people of all ages. This novel should honestly be a required reading in high schools. Every school should have a Peer Communications class like their school does. This book needs to be read by every one. Five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment