Monday, June 11, 2012

Carey on: New Sarah Dessen Covers?

Two weeks ago, Sarah Dessen announced that her paperbacks were going to get new covers. At first I was sort of "eh" about it. I love the original covers of any book more than their new ones (except for So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti, I think the paperback cover is better than the hard cover, sue me). So I was nervous about how Penguin was going to do with them.

And then they started to be released, one a day for each book on a different website. And oh my gosh I loved them all so much! Well, for the most part, at least. Check them out (and my opinions because I can):

Before|After


I love the sunglasses, and how they're closer to the camera lens than the couple. I think the color scheme is a lot better than the original as well.



I don't quite understand why exactly they're butterflies on the new cover. But I don't think there should be a couple (which there's not) on it, considering Macon and Halley don't end up together in the end. (Sorry for the spoiler if you haven't read it!)



I always thought that the original was so awkward. I mean, a picture of this girl's shorts is just so awkward! Although I do love the sunglasses there, the new cover is perfect! There were a lot of fireworks in the story and I love the model's positions. Plus, I bet that it was fun to shoot!


I think this is the only new cover that I don't like. I don't really understand at all. And I think that it's too bright for Dreamland. Dreamland is so dark and eerie that it deserves a darker cover. This just doesn't do it for me.


Love the color, love the guitar pick, and love the guitar. Perfect, perfect, perfect!


I wanted that bracelet the second that I saw the new cover. I even went over to AC Moore and got some beads and a wishbone charm to make one! Yeah, that didn't work out quite so well, so I just bought one on Etsy hehe. I love the colors, the bracelet, and it's just perfect. (This is probably my favorite Dessen book, by the way.)

How cute is that?! Answer: extremely.



I'm glad that they still kept her listening to music on the cover, considering that was a big part. I just like how you can see her entire body positioned how I always thought she was while she listened to the mix. The colors are perfect, too. I know I keep saying that...



This is my favorite new cover. I just like how it's so bold and it just shoves the key in your face. Once again, the colors are perf. Oh, and here's a fun fact. I named my new car after Ruby! Not because I'm "so obsessed" or anything. It's just that she's red, and Ruby was the first thing that came to mind. Plus, Ruby loves to get out and she drove around a lot with her mom. It was perfect! Look at her!


So quaint. 


I always thought that the original cover was adorable, yet sort of awkward and uncomfortable. I still think that it should have been darker outside in both covers, just because they're both insomniacs and they meet in the night a lot. But I love the color of the bike (of course I do, right?) 


What Happened to Goodbye, her latest novel (May 2011) isn't getting a new cover, considering the fact that it isn't out in paperback yet. And honestly, I thought that this was the only cover that should have gotten a new one. I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't.

Dessen will be coming out with her latest book, Someone Else's Summer in May 2013. Originally it was to be named The Best After Ever, but (and you can read on her blog why) her publisher decided to change the title. Someone Else's Summer is set in the fictional beach town of Colby, where several of Dessen’s novels take place, it features 18-year-old Emmeline, who is spending her last summer before college working for her family’s vacation rental business and enjoying a summer romance with a young aspiring filmmaker. It sucks that we have to wait another year until it comes out, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait! 







1 comment:

  1. Her book what happened to goodbye did get a new cover :D also i love your blog ^~^

    ReplyDelete