Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Released: December 1, 2011
Publisher: Scourebooks Fire
Pages: 281
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey
Synopsis: What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


Review:
I. Loved. This. Book.


I could only think of one complaint about this book, one little thing that I didn’t like, and that’s the fact that Tyler Green pissed me off. I get why he’s so controlling. I mean, I would be too if my dad was killed in a car accident, also leaving my mother paralyzed. But he just came into the Hundred Oak’s school and expected everyone to follow his orders, including Jordan. I also thought the relationship between Jordan and Ty was so unnecessary. It’s one thing to be distracted because he’s so hot and everything, but I feel like the relationship was so unnecessary.

What I also didn’t like was that realistic for Jordan to freaking sleep with him the day after kissing him for the first time. And also that three days after that, all of the sudden she’s in love with her best friend, Sam Henry, and it was only because she found out that he loves her. That irritated me, too.

Otherwise, I loved this book. I loved that Jordan, who had always been one of the guys, finally realized that she truly wasn’t one of the guys, but that she also wasn’t going to let anyone, even her dream school, tell her that she can’t play football because she’s a girl.

That’s what I think this book is so great. Kenneally writes about the fact girls shouldn’t let people put them down just because they’re a girl. Nobody should let people put them down because of something like that. It doesn’t matter if you’re a girl or a boy, fat or skinny, tall or short, gay or straight, black or white, et cetera. As long as you’re doing something you love, it shouldn’t matter. Don’t let people put you down because of anything.

And that is why this book got 4.5 stars from me. Jordan stood up for herself. She wasn’t going to let Ty tell her what to do, who to hang out with, that she should stop playing ball. She wasn’t even going to let her own father tell her to stop playing. Jordan stood up for herself because she loved what she was doing and it shouldn’t matter that she’s a girl. If only everybody could be like that. It's a great lesson.

PS: I don’t know what it is about the cover, but I just love it so much. Although, I can’t help but wonder who the boy is that is holding Jordan’s hand: Ty or Henry?

PPS: I can’t wait to read Stealing Parker, which is the second book in the Hundred Oaks “series.” Kenneally says that it’s not necessarily a series, but it’s just that all of her books are set in Hundred Oaks, a fictional town in Tennessee, and we can also expect cameos of past characters. The third book to the companion novels, Things I Can’t Forget came out in March 2013. Her fourth one, Racing Savannah, will come out December 3, 2013. And I'm so, so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment