Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Released: December 1, 2011
Publisher: Scourebooks Fire
Pages: 281
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey
Synopsis: What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


Review:
I. Loved. This. Book.


I could only think of one complaint about this book, one little thing that I didnt like, and thats the fact that Tyler Green pissed me off. I get why hes so controlling. I mean, I would be too if my dad was killed in a car accident, also leaving my mother paralyzed. But he just came into the Hundred Oaks school and expected everyone to follow his orders, including Jordan. I also thought the relationship between Jordan and Ty was so unnecessary. Its one thing to be distracted because hes so hot and everything, but I feel like the relationship was so unnecessary.

What I also didnt like was that realistic for Jordan to freaking sleep with him the day after kissing him for the first time. And also that three days after that, all of the sudden shes in love with her best friend, Sam Henry, and it was only because she found out that he loves her. That irritated me, too.

Otherwise, I loved this book. I loved that Jordan, who had always been one of the guys, finally realized that she truly wasnt one of the guys, but that she also wasnt going to let anyone, even her dream school, tell her that she cant play football because shes a girl.

Thats what I think this book is so great. Kenneally writes about the fact girls shouldnt let people put them down just because theyre a girl. Nobody should let people put them down because of something like that. It doesnt matter if youre a girl or a boy, fat or skinny, tall or short, gay or straight, black or white, et cetera. As long as youre doing something you love, it shouldnt matter. Dont let people put you down because of anything.

And that is why this book got 4.5 stars from me. Jordan stood up for herself. She wasnt going to let Ty tell her what to do, who to hang out with, that she should stop playing ball. She wasnt even going to let her own father tell her to stop playing. Jordan stood up for herself because she loved what she was doing and it shouldnt matter that shes a girl. If only everybody could be like that. It's a great lesson.

PS: I dont know what it is about the cover, but I just love it so much. Although, I cant help but wonder who the boy is that is holding Jordans hand: Ty or Henry?

PPS: I cant wait to read Stealing Parker, which is the second book in the Hundred Oaks series. Kenneally says that its not necessarily a series, but its just that all of her books are set in Hundred Oaks, a fictional town in Tennessee, and we can also expect cameos of past characters. The third book to the companion novels, Things I Cant Forget came out in March 2013. Her fourth one, Racing Savannah, will come out December 3, 2013. And I'm so, so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment