Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally
Released: October 1, 2012
Publisher: Sourebooks Fire
Pages: 242
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey
Synopsis: Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?
Review: 
 I fell in love with Stealing Parker instantly, just as I did with Catching Jordan. I read it in under five hours, I was so addicted with it. I kept wanting---- no, needing more. This novel keeps you on your toes and keeps you guessing about a lot of things. It's just so... intriguing.

My thing about Kenneally's novels is that I just don't know sports. I mean, write a novel about swimming and I'm your girl. But football and baseball? Nope. But that's not her fault; I'm in the minority of girls that doesn't at least understand those two sports. But I love that she teaches me things about these sports.

I also love that we got to see a little bit of characters from Catching Jordan; Henry is the major one, since he's on the baseball team that Parker manages for a while. You hear about Jordan, and JJ, and a few of the other guys, and even girls. I just love companion novels for this reason.

So let's get to it. Poor Parker. She's had such a hard year, with her parents getting divorced, best friends (well, ex) spreading rumors about her, fighting for valedictorian, and also dealing with her downward-spiraling older brother. She only kisses so many guys because one of the rumors is that she's gay, just like her mother. So, yeah, she became a little boy crazy. And she wasn't getting attention from anyone other than her best friend, Drew, so when Coach Brian Hoffman, the assistant coach of the team she manages (who's only twenty three) pays attention to her, they become friends. And then they become more than friends.

I wasn't sure at first how I felt about it. They definitely did seem to be good friends, which was something Parker needed. But when things heated up, I felt awkward. It reminded me of Aria and Mr. Fitz/Ezra from Pretty Little Liars. But I gotta admit: I couldn't tear my eyes away when there was a scene with them, whether it was just at a game and they were just two people, or when they were making out in his car, sneaking around.

And I couldn't believe how he handled their break up. He could've at least said something. But guys suck, no matter what age they are.

Kenneally has a theme: girl is dating boy, girl has a friend boy that falls for her, girl realizes (while dating original boy) that she loves the friend boy, but girl screws it up somehow. Eventually girl and boyfriend break up and the book ends with girl and friend boy suddenly dating and they're already in love. I've only read two of Kenneally's books as of now, and she writes them really well, making tons of readers happy. People can't live without a romance like that!

I won't tell you anything about the friend boy, not even his name or his significance.

One thing that made me really sad was the fact that Parker's best friend just ignored her and wouldn't even listen to her side of the story when she tried to explain what happened between her and Friend Boy. Like, what kind of friend is that? But everything was okay in the end, so that's what matters.

No matter what, I absolutely adored this book. And it really inspires me, too, so I'm sure it'll make a good impact on most readers somehow.

Bonus! I ordered this book off of Amazon, right? When I cracked open this book for the first time to read it, I noticed that it was previously signed by Miranda Kenneally herself! SURPRISE!


No comments:

Post a Comment