Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Released: March 2, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 323
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey

Synopsis: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
Review:
Let me say this: I never really got into the whole fantasy/paranormal-esque types of books. Sure, I've read Twilight and Harry Potter and everything, but I just can't really get into anything that involves vampires or werewolves or dead people or anything like that. So, I was reluctant to read this book.

Also let me say this: I read this book in maybe five hours. I couldn't put this down. And when I finished it, I immediately bought Hex Hall (this was a book from the library), along with the next two books in the series, Demonglass and Spell Bound, and stalked Rachel Hawkins' website/blog and followed her on twitter and read maybe half of her blog posts. (I was sad to find out that she doesn't updated it anymore. BUT she does have a tumblr and likes Doctor Who, so everything is okay. Obviously, I instantly followed her on there as well.) I considered buying the spin-off novel, School Spirits, but I want to make sure that I like the last two books since I haven't met the character that it's about yet. And there's supposed to be a short story with it,  A Very Hexy Valentine's Day, but I'm not sure where to get it. I'll have to tweet to Hawkins later, hehe. Any excuse to tweet to a new favorite author ;)

So. Yeah. I fell in love with this book. I'm not sure what it was about it; the fact that it's about witches (I do have this weird liking to anything witch-y/psychic-y/things like that that people call me crazy for) probably had something to do with that.  I found everything just so... addicting. And interesting. I loved learning about the past with The Eyes, and finding out that someone Sophie falls for isn't who she thinks she is, and that Sophie herself isn't what she thinks she is. 

Hawkins pulled plot twist after plot twist out of her ass, I am just saying. At least it felt like it to me. And I think that's what made me love it even more. It kept me on my toes and kept me not wanting to put it down. I mean, when two people almost die in a span a few weeks, and someone you're related to is because of it, shit is obviously going to go down. 

And I was also drawn to her writing style. Maybe it's because I'm a writer myself, but I always judge authors based on their writing style. Sorry not sorry.

I loved it, I loved it, I loved it. I loved Sophie; I loved the cover; I loved that it was about witches; I loved the romance; I loved how it still had high school problems, even though this sort of reform school has faeries and werewolves and shifters, and a vampire; I loved how there was still some normal-ish family problems; I loved everything single bit of it. I literally cannot think of one thing at all that I didn't like about it. And that's saying something because I love to critique things. So, props to you, Rachel Hawkins. Somehow you have slithered up on my list of favorite authors. You go, girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment