Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Released: February 26, 2013
Publisher: St. Marin's Griffin
Pages: 320
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey
Synopsis: Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

Review: I'm going to be very frank here: I didn't like this novel. I'm pretty sure it's just the fact that it was written in third person, to be honest, because I loved the plot. I loved that Eleanor was a ginger. I loved that it was set in 1986. I loved that they liked comic books and listened to good music on their walkman. I like that Park was at first rude to Eleanor, just because everyone else was, and then he ended up falling in love with her. I could go on.

But, I could also go on about what I hated about it. Like I said, I hate that it's in third person. Third person just really bugs me for some reason. I can't write in it, either. Anyways, I hate that they're only fifteen. I hate that even though it's set in 1986, there's not really a mention of anything besides the walkman and the fact that comic books were coming out.  I wanted to know more about her stepfather; all we know is that he's an asshole, pretty much. I felt like Eleanor's character could have been a little bit better developed, just besides the fact that she dresses crazy and has a broken life. And last but not least (at least that I'll talk about) is I hated the ending. It was such a rushed ending, in my opinion. Tragic, yes. Good, no. It's like Rowell was just on a deadline or something. And it was semi-unrealistic, too. What sixteen year old is going to drive five states away to bring  their girlfriend to another house. I mean, with the circumstances, yes, but his father wasn't even mad. Like, um? What kind of parent is that? 

Sometimes I feel bad that I didn't like this novel. Everyone I knew, from my real friends from school, book bloggers, goodreads reviews, etc, everyone loved this book. They said it was one of the best books they've ever read. And it's not even close to the best book I've ever read. I honestly can't see how anyone would say that, no offense to Rowell, or anything.  It was just not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment