Friday, June 7, 2013

Review: The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

Title: The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
Released: June 4, 2013 by Viking
Pages: 435
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Reviewed by: Carey

If you're familiar with Dessen's novels, you would know that she tends to tie in past novels to current ones. The Moon and More is set in her fictional town of Colby, where high school graduate Emaline lives. When the book starts off, she's dating Luke, who's perfect in all aspects. Enter Theo, an movie-making intern, who immediately falls for Emaline. Her father and half-brother show up with some big news, which of course causes some drama. And all her mom wants to give Emaline is the moon and more.

First off, I want to say that this is Dessen's longest novel ever, beating What Happened to Goodbye by around 33 pages, and Along for the Ride by 40. Props to her. This is the only reason why I gave it 4.5: it took me a while to get into it, and it sort of dragged on for a bit. To be honest, it wasn't typical Dessen Style. But it was still fabulous and I did love it. It got so emotional towards the end--- I would say why, but I really don't want to spoil it or anything. Dessen is right on point when it comes to teenage problems. How nerve wracking it is the summer before college, having siblings in your room, break ups, new relationships, etc. Everything Dessen is writes about it right on point, in every single book she writes. And I loved the fact how she described the differences between dad and father.

As for the characters: I loved Emaline. She didn't want to let people push her around, and I love that. She was so kind to everyone, even someone she didn't really like. Luke, despite the reason why he and Emaline broke up, was literally perfect. I was really expecting them to get back together once they went of to East U, and I was truly disappointed when they didn't. Morris made me laugh every single time his character showed up, and I'm actually really excited for his character to show up in later Dessen novels. Theo, though. I disliked him so freaking much. I'm pretty sure that he's my least favorite in any of Dessen's novels. He was so... arrogant. Too clingy. I hated it. But hey, he was a dater who loved events and was just really arrogant. That's who he was. And I hope that he's one of those characters that stays in the vault and never shows up again. Sorry, Sarah.

Anyways, Dessen always brings the same thing to the bookshelves: true things that happens. I hope that made sense; I wasn't really sure how to word it. This book, although not my favorite, was fabulous, and as she is my favorite author ever, I do recommend this novel, along with all eleven others. Overall rating, 4.5.




1 comment:

  1. Ugh, YES. Theo was the worst. I sorta wonder if we were supposed to dislike him in a way? I don't know, he just seemed really... blah.

    I get what you mean by it dragging for a while - I could feel that. Nothing really happened at the beginning, which I suppose fit Colby's beach-town style but I kept reading quickly just to figure out when the plot would move along and see how things were going.

    Overall, I loved this one too! It felt really different to me from her other books (Emaline seemed more mature somehow?). And I appreciated that!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Carey :)

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete