Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review: The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti
Released: March 25, 2008
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 298
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by: Carey
Synopsis: Eighteen-year-old Indigo Skye feels like she has it all - a waitress job she loves, an adorable refrigerator-delivery-guy boyfriend, and a home life that's slightly crazed but rich in love. Until a mysterious man at the restaurant leaves her a 2.5 million-dollar tip, and her life as she knew it is transformed. This is the story of a girl who gets rich, gets lost, and ultimately finds her way back - if not to where she started, then to where she can start again.


Review:
Here we go, starting another Caletti book. I'm honestly quite nervous about it. But at least it has low expectations, so it can't suck too bad.

And let me say these three words: I like it. I actually like it. Something about it drew me in instantly, which makes me happy, because I wanted to like Caletti. So it was just the wrong book I read first is all. I'm glad I gave her another chance.

So the main character is named Indigo. She has a twin brother named Severin and a little sister named Bex. Caletti really likes these odd names, doesn't she now? I've also noticed that Caletti likes to drag everything on. It took 103 pages for anything real to happen, which is pretty much when Indigo got the tip from Vespa Guy. Which, by the way, it took over twenty pages for Indigo to actually open the envelope. Ugh.

That's what I don't like about Caletti's writing style: she draws everything out way too long. Granted it doesn't need to be right away, but if it takes over 100 pages for the plot to start, I find that ridiculous when the book is less than 300 pages itself.

So what I don't understand is why Vespa Guy (Richard Howards, you later find out) gave Indigo a 2.5 million dollar tip. He was mysterious and obviously troubled, since all he does at the diner is order coffee and stare out the window. Indigo tells him that she does care, we find out that he has a crappy job where nobody cares about him, and he decided to make a lifestyle change when it comes to jobs. So I don't understand why he gave her 2.5 million dollars. (Later you do find out why, but I think that reason is so ridiculous and it would never really happen...ever.)

And all of the sudden Indigo's mom tracked down Richard Howards and found out that he's in Maui, and now she has to go find him and give him the money back. This book is so unrealistic it makes my head hurt, even though it is a good story.

Time for me to be honest: I'm just not sure what I think about Caletti. It's topsy turvy, my feelings about her and her writing style and her plots and what not.

So they find out where he lives. He's not home, so they go on this ten page useless adventure that was not necessary at all, and then they find Richard at this restaurant. And he and her dad talk, and they understand the stress they were under, and Indigo keeps the money. Lucky her.

I surprisingly got into the book instantly when Indigo started spending the money. I mean when I picked the book back up after dinner, I was page 130 whatever and then all of the sudden I'm at 180 whatever, and it only felt like ten minutes.

I found myself really hoping that Indigo would change so quickly, become a bitch, somehow spend all the money. But instead she ran off to Malibu with her best friend Melanie after randomly quitting her job at the diner, just because her boss said she should think about some time off, and because she had a fight with Trevor, her boyfriend. Girl needs to learn that you can't run away from your problems just because you're filthy rich.

So. Much. Redundant. Information. The last 50 pages of the book was so useless and it was obviously just filler stuff so that Indigo could realize that the money changed her and everything and blah, blah, blah. But the story was decent, et cetera. It was a lot better than The Secret Life of Prince Charming, god bless. I liked the plot so much, even though it  so unrealistic. So it receives 3.5 starts from me, yay.

There's a different cover for this book, for the paperback, I assume. I actually really like the second one a lot better, but I don't like how the cover doesn't really bring out any part of the story. Shouldn't the model's hair be crazy like it ins in the book? Maybe the background Lake Pine, or the restaurant or Maui? Either way, I'm just not feeling the whole colored sectioned off part of the original covers with the title and author, how all of her earlier books are. Here's the second cover:


No comments:

Post a Comment